Bibliokids

I spend too much of my time in an office ordering kids books for libraries, and not enough telling people about the exciting things I'm ordering for them. Hopefully, this blog will help to rectify that.

Wednesday, May 03, 2006

But It's Shiny!

It would appear that I have the heart of a four-year-old, as I'm way too excited about this crop of new picture books that will soon be on your shelves.


Little Teddy Bear Left Behind by Anne Mangan
This is the tale of an adventurous teddy bear who sets out to find his owners after being left behind in a move. Why am I excited about this? Because in the book, the bear's little red sweater is flocked. Flocked, I say! The publisher italicized this word in their description of the book, which lets me know that I'm not the only one who is excited about this.


The Tiniest Mermaid by Laura Garnham
From the same publisher comes this tale of an injured mermaid who is befriended by a human girl. Demonstrating their ability to whip me into a frenzy of anticipation, they describe this book as being "enhanced by magical foil." I don't even know what "magical foil" is, but I'm guessing it's shiny and that I need it!!


Pinkalicious by Victoria Kann
Is there anyone who doesn't know a little girl who is obsessed with all things pink? This book, about a little girl who eats so many pink cupcakes that she turns pink, will certainly strike a chord with many of your patrons. Forget about the plot . . . the book itself is deliciously pink!



What Do Wheels Do All Day by April Jones Prince
Most boys don't like pink, but don't fret, because there's something new for them as well. The cut-paper relief illustrations in this new book capture every kind of wheel imaginable, from bicycle tires to ferris wheels.



Museum Trip by Barbara Lehman
The author of the 2004 Caldecott honor-winning The Red Book has a new work that once again stretches the boundaries of the printed page . . . and the imagination. This time she turns her attention to museums, as a young boy finds himself in a gallery hung with mazes--mazes he can walk into.


Bats at the Beach by Brian Lies
Why am I so entranced by this book about bats who frolic on the beach during the full moon? Maybe because it's getting to be summer, and my perpetually pale demeanor makes me feel like I should join these nocturnal bats with their moon-tan lotion and banjos.



Flower Ball by Sigrid Laube
Cauliflower and Carrot decide that they want to attend the Flower Ball, despite the fact that the snobbish blooms do not welcome them. Something about Cauliflower, looking every inch the dandy in his Victorian breeches and Carrot's headdress of greenery just kills me. I'm in love with this book!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am very lucky to have children that I read to because I'm not a children's librarian. This blog is one more thing to help me!! Emma, who loves pink as did her mom, recommends Priscilla and the Pink Planet (Hobbie) for those ballet, princessy pink girls.

MichelleB @ EGR

1:17 PM  
Blogger Jackie Parker said...

Ummm... what's flocked?

While also eerily distracted by shiny things, I'm much more interested in the wheel book and the museum one... Lovely array, though.

12:56 PM  
Blogger Cory said...

Flocking is that delightful fuzzy stuff stuck to the surface--like on a greeting card or a cheap plastic bunny bank like one that dentists used to give away if you were good while getting your teeth cleaned.

1:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"I don't even know what "magical foil" is, but I'm guessing it's shiny and that I need it!!"

By far my favorite quote...keep writing!

7:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home