Bibliokids

I spend too much of my time in an office ordering kids books for libraries, and not enough telling people about the exciting things I'm ordering for them. Hopefully, this blog will help to rectify that.

Friday, July 07, 2006

You mean the library has more than just books?

I recently went on a CD-ROM buying blitz, so I thought I'd give a little heads-up so that you can continue to surprise and amaze your patrons with the awesome variety of materials we offer.


Over the Hedge
This movie got a HUGE promotional push when it first came out. I have no idea if it's any good, but it certainly has made a mark on our collective consciousness. The game seems to be geared toward the 5-8 year old crowd, and involves taking the role of one of four characters from the movie and making your way through an obstacle-riddled suburban neighborhood. I'm guessing that there are a lot of kids who will love this movie and want to check this game out.







Cars: Radiator Springs Adventures
Another CD-ROM that is based on a movie that got a TON of promotion. This one includes "over 10 mini-games" and is interesting to me because it features the actors who did the voice-overs for the film. Which means, of course, that my boyfriend, Owen Wilson, is featured. Hmmmm . . . maybe I should start checking out CD-ROMs.









Paws & Claws Pet Vet
It's entirely possible that I'm the only person in the world who finds this cool, but I'm hoping it will appeal to all those animal-obsessed kids who troop through the library every day. The point of this game? To create your own veterinary clinic and "treat" a variety of animals. Sort of like Sims for the young, horsey set.








Solomon Says
This Bible-based trivia game with a game-show format claims to be "the perfect party game for families or church youth groups," although I'm thinking that all of our home-school families will also enjoy it. At a time when all computer games seem to be extremely violent and racy, it's nice to be able to offer something that parents don't have to worry about.








Snap! Origami
When I was at the branch every day, I can't tell you how many kids came in obsessed with origami. Because every kid learns differently--and because kids today are so technologically savvy--I was way too excited by this instructional origami CD-ROM. Way too excited. And everyone in KDL-land can also keep an eye out for Origami with Leonor Volume 2, a new DVD that I recently bought for the system. Soon, EVERYONE will be doing origami! Mwa ha ha ha ha!





2Simple CD-ROMs
I actually purchased a number of titles from 2Simple . . . I only pictured one because, frankly, I'm lazy. But ignoring that fact, these sound like big fun to me. The Music Toolkit teaches kids K-8 about such things as rhythm, tempo and harmony, as well as allowing them to perform their own compositions. 2Simple 2Type uses games, exercises, and cool color coding to teach kids touch typing. 2Calculate teaches elementary-aged children about spreadsheets, fractions, graphing and more. There are a lot of other titles, and I'll happily buy any that you think your patrons might find particularly helpful (well, if you work in my library system, I mean). Go to www.theavcafe.com, click on the "new" button on the left of the screen, and find these on the first page.



Pirates of the Caribbean: Legend of Jack Sparrow
Yeah boy!!!! Is there anyone out there who ISN'T looking forward to this movie? Is there anyone out there who DIDN'T secretly want to become a pirate after seeing the first one? Is there anyone who WON'T want to play this game, with its fully interactive environments, hordes of enemies, mistly moonlit caves, and secret treasures? I think not!

3 Comments:

Blogger Jackie Parker said...

Can I just say that at fist glance I thought that "Pet Vet" read "Pet Wet" and that it was a game about bathing animals...

12:18 PM  
Blogger Jackie Parker said...

Oh - and page 111-112 of Born to Rock made me think of you.

3:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Speaking of Pet Vet. We need some kind of game where a little girl can set up a home daycare complete with outdoor play sets, wading pools, et al. We really do have an endearing girl who would love such a thing. Just something to keep in mind!! I keep telling her that she will probably have to create such a thing but you never know.

MichelleB@ EGR

1:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home