Bibliokids

I spend too much of my time in an office ordering kids books for libraries, and not enough telling people about the exciting things I'm ordering for them. Hopefully, this blog will help to rectify that.

Thursday, August 24, 2006

A Plethora of Picture Books!

When I worked in publishing, Fall was our big season . . . when we would pull out the big guns. Big guns like these:


Sheetzucacapoopoo: My Kind of Dog by Joy Behar
This tale of a mixed-breed dog encountering purebred snobbery at the local dog run comes to us from Behar, a comedian and co-host of The View. Which explains the sheer hilarity of the title. It's so funny and fun to say that my co-worker emailed me after entering the order so we could giggle about it.



The Tattletale by Lynn Downey
This tale of sibling squabbles and one mother's creative solution for tattling is sure to be a hit with all the multi-child families in your community. But, even more exciting is the fact that this was illustrated by Pamela Paparone. The illustrator of another of my storytime favorites, The Little School Bus, Paparone has a way of drawing pigs that I just love.



Bad Boys Get Cookie by Margie Palatini
An impish combination (yes . . . I just referred to something as "impish") of both The Gingerbread Man and Hansel and Gretel, this book follows two bad wolves as they follow a runaway cookie. The Kirkus review, which refers to an "annoying looking" "demon cookie" makes this sound like a smart, spirited romp. ("impish" and "spirited romp" in one paragraph? I'm on a roll!)



Stardragon by Andrew Breakspeare
May I quote from Ingram's ipage? "Magnificent dragons and starry magic await in this sparkly embossed volume." Oh ho ho! You know what a sucker I am for such things! That's what I'm talking about!



Heave Ho! by Heinz Janisch
Containing only twelve sentences, this is a story of teamwork and of animals who want to get into the refrigerator. What really got to me was the fact that the Kirkus review referred to the artwork as "cheeky." I love that word and all that it implies, and if I ever have children, I hope that they are given access to cheeky books. Oh yes . . . that is my dream!




When I Grow Up, I will Win the Nobel Prize by Isabel Pin
Another book with cheeky artwork! I'm in seventh heaven with this book that talks about dreams and how to live up to them. Add to that the fact that it can make a whole generation of toddlers familiar with a prestigious (albeit intimidatingly erudite) prize, and I'm almost ready to do a little dance of joy. A cheeky little dance of joy . . .


The Biggest Parade by Elizabeth Winthrop
I have a friend who would go to any parade, no matter how small or obscure it might be. I'm sure she would like this book about a bassett hound whose owner wants him to march in a parade, but who would rather just watch. The description of what happened to the hound the last time he participated in such a thing brings a smile to my face, and I'm convinced that this will appeal to the over-enthusastic geek in all of us. And, it's said to be a great read-aloud.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't wait to share "When I Grow Up, I'm Going to Win the Nobel Peace Prize" with T.J., as he is constantly saying, "When I grow up, I'm going to be a monster truck driver." Maybe it will give him a new and slightly more lofty goal. :)

9:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home