Bibliokids

I spend too much of my time in an office ordering kids books for libraries, and not enough telling people about the exciting things I'm ordering for them. Hopefully, this blog will help to rectify that.

Friday, September 08, 2006

It's enough to make you swear off grown-up books!

There are SO MANY awesome picture books coming out this fall, I can hardly stand it!!! Sometimes I fall into this weird, never-reading-picture-books trap where, because they are so short and easy to read, I put them off in favor of more pressing things. Then some time has passed and I realize I haven't read a one. But I think these will tempt me . . .

Beware of Tigers by Dave Horowitz
Two little birds have been warned about the danger of tigers, but how can they resist a charming, singing, dancing tiger? Sometimes, the charm is just irresistible! And I love the cover on this one.



Augustine by Melanie Watt
When a shy penguin moves from the South Pole to the North, her love of art provides a way for her to get to know her new classmates. Because this book references a number of famous artists and their work, it should be a relatively painless way to introduce young ones to art history. Plus, the illustrations have a deliciously fat, fuzzy, super-saturated look to them that I find irresistible.


Please Don't Upset P. U. Zorilla by Lynn Rowe Reed
Why do I find it so funny when storybook characters can't quite control how they react to their environments? Am I really that immature? At any rate, this book is about a capable skunk who needs a job but can't keep himself from spraying some stink when he gets upset. Hee hee hee! The Kirkus review mentions a catchy repeated phrase that should make this a good read-aloud. And the skunk's name is P.U. Zorilla! And he sprays people! Ah ha ha ha ha ha ha!


Elfis: A Christmas Tale by Alan Katz and Pete Fornatale
How many holiday tales about underdog elves on the North Pole do we need? As many as we can get! When Melfin is fired from Santa's workshop for being too slow, he's despondent--until a snowman turns him into a rock icon (and inspiration to elves everywhere). We can all use another Christmas book, and this one has the Elvis kitsch factor going for it. I hope it's as clever as it seems it will be!


Burger Boy by Alan Durant
Last week I waxed poetic about the humor of hot dogs, so I figured I should give equal time to their patty-riffic counterparts. This tale of a picky eater who turns into the only thing he consumes looks fun, and I'm sure it will strike a chord with parents everywhere.


Dear Little Lamb by Christa Kempter
A cautionary tale for the new generation of computer-users, Kempter's tale is a welcome addition to our collections. Mama Sheep is concerned when her offspring plans to visit his new pen pal . . . the suspiciously named Wolfgang. A little investigation proves she is right to worry, and she saves her little lamb from a sad fate.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home