Bibliokids

I spend too much of my time in an office ordering kids books for libraries, and not enough telling people about the exciting things I'm ordering for them. Hopefully, this blog will help to rectify that.

Thursday, October 19, 2006

I swear I'm not a cat person!

I don't know why I'm so intrigued by all these picture books about cats, but here's another one (along with some other things I think look good).

Mr. Pusskins: A Love Story by Sam Lloyd
This book is about a grumpy cat (although I think anyone would be grumpy with a name like "Mr. Pusskins") who doesn't appreciate his easy feline life until he's forced to spend a night fending for himself on the street. I just have to wonder why everyone feels compelled to put these fat, grumpy, fuzzy, irresistible cats on the covers of their books. I'm powerless against the fat cat! I just can't help myself!

Sock Monkey Rides Again by Cece Bell
While I'm in a confessional mood, I should probably just admit that I hate sock monkeys. I find them creepy and phallic and odd, and the recent plethora of books featuring sock monkeys hasn't really been something that I've embraced. Until now! Sock Monkey is a famous actor who gets the best role of his life in a singing cowboy movie. The problem? He has to kiss his co-star, and he just can't seem to do it. This is a funny premise, and the illustrations seem to depict Sock Monkey as a cheerful fellow, without any of the malevolent glee that sock monkeys usually have.


Chandlefort: In the Shadow of the Bear by David Randall
Oh look . . . another fantasy sequel for me to rave about!!!! Randall's first book, Clovermead, was about a young girl who had the ability to change into a bear, and Chandlefort promises to continue the adventure. Granted, the publishers seem to have given it an ugly sci-fi-ish cover that can't really compare to the Leo and Diane Dillon artwork of the first, but I can overlook that. I've met the author on several occasions, and he is a delight. And his writing is gripping, elegant, and wonderfully ambiguous when it comes to questions of good and evil.

1 Comments:

Blogger Rachel said...

Why so afraid of sock monkeys? What did they ever do to you?

8:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home