Bibliokids

I spend too much of my time in an office ordering kids books for libraries, and not enough telling people about the exciting things I'm ordering for them. Hopefully, this blog will help to rectify that.

Friday, November 03, 2006

So many happy people . . .

. . . and one unhappy blogger! I was going to have a big old picture trumpeting the arrival of two new books that I know your patrons will be super-excited about, but I can't find any images of the jackets. So, I will rely on fancy type effects (that says "fancy type effects" in webdings) and maybe some colors to let you know that December brings both a new Michigan Chillers book--Gruesome Ghouls of Grand Rapids--and a new American Chillers book--North Dakota Night Dragons. Yeah! Both are on order for KDL, so you can start to place holds.


17 Things I'm Not Allowed to Do Anymore by Jenny Offill
This story of a little girl who is forbidden to do certain things after stapling her brother's hair to his pillow, freezing a fly in the ice cube tray, etc. just cracks me up. She just looks so mischievious on the cover, and I can certainly sympathize with someone who only finds out after the fact that they're not allowed to do things. Much like how I'm not allowed to make buttercream frosting or change the batteries in my own smoke alarm.


Chickens to the Rescue by John Himmelman
Chickens, much like hot dogs, are just intrinsically funny. And when chickens heroically cook dinner, get a watch out of the well, and otherwise protect their farm friends from harm, they are super-duper funny. Chickens. Hee hee hee!

And as a sort of follow-up . . .

You know how sometimes you have those phases where everything you read is dissatisfying and weird? I am not having one of those phases, as everything I've read lately has been fabulous. I finally read Here There Be Dragons by James A. Owen (which I've mentioned here before)and loved it! Seriously, I came across phrases that were so stunning I had to put the book down and soak it all in. And I just last night finished Golden by Jennifer Barnes (also previously mentioned in this blog), which was SO GOOD! Now granted, I have a certain fascination with the concept of auras, so I was predisposed to like it, but it was just so much fun. Add to the mix The Murder of Bindy Mackenzie by Jaclyn Moriarty, which I enjoyed much more than I had expected to. A friend said that they like Moriarty's books because she seems to be going on one direction and you're down with that, when it suddenly becomes something else. And not in a disappointing "Why did you ruin this good book" sort of way, but in an "I totally wasn't expecting that and I'm even more intrigued and this makes everything up until this point way better" kind of way. Now I'm almost done with Girl, Going on 17: Pants on Fire by Sue Limb. This is the third book in a series which I enjoy most heartily. It isn't rocket science, but it is a whole lot of fun. Limb's series is similar to the Georgia Nicolson books, but without the grating self-centeredness that showed up in the protagonist of that series. So . . . yeah for good books, and I hope that something in here has inspired you to go out and read! Leave a comment and let me know what you've read lately that's been good.

4 Comments:

Blogger Jackie Parker said...

Hey! I'm that friend! Cool beans! I also like the Sue Limb series. The best thing I've read of late is The Rules of Survival by Nancy Werlin. There isn't any laughing, unlike the books you mentioned, but it's fab all the same. I can't wait to read Here, There Be Dragons, so good to know you liked it. (Also looking forward to Tamora Pierce's new one & the new Jacky Faber. Can't read those 'til after the Cybils, though. Sigh.)

1:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you enjoyed Golden. Thanks for taking the time to blog about it!

3:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I want more books! I want more books!

PUUUHHHHLEASE!!!!!

8:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

MORE BOOKS MORE BOOKS!

8:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home